ATV Source.com | Calendar | ATV/UTV Reviews | ATV/UTV News | ATV/UTV Product Reviews | ATV/UTV Racing | ATV/UTV Trails | ATV/UTV Videos

ATVSource.com Social Community Forums

ATVSource.com is a social community site based on the needs of ATV/UTV fans alike.
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2003 8:06 pm 
Still on the Trailer Member

OK.. I've asked this before, but never really got an answer.. does our '02 Scramber 50 have a revlimiter that I can disable? I don't see a looped back in wire on the CDI like some have, or the 2 screws holding the plate on it like others. Did I get stuck with a model that I can't open up the limiter on? It really seams like this is the issue holding it back.

Some suggestions on it were that it was starving for fuel.. so I rejetted, but it didn't seem to change... it gets to a point, where it doesn't go faster, and seems to start missing once it's wound out. It gets to that point in a hurry, and just makes the little thing sound awful.

Would a CDI from an older model Scrambler 50 or another 50cc quad work on it? Can I get one for an '01 from the dealer that won't have a limiter on it (or one to disable on it), or would it be thge same as what I have? What about one of the perfomance CDI's from one of the shops that post in the forum?

Am I going at it wrong? Is this not the problem and it's something else?

If she wants to race in a stcok class, will swapping the CDI be an issue? We don't race yet, but want to start, so we don't have any rules to go by for us yet.

ADVERTISEMENT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2003 11:14 pm 

same problem with my 2003 Alphasports 50 Kolt......the scrambler is the same quad with diff plastic. My cdi did have a plate screwed on the back of it....after removal it went much faster, but it still cuts out and sounds like crap at top speed. Let me know what ya find out. I removed the throttle screw, oil injection, and the cdi plate so far.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2003 11:38 pm 
ATV Official
ATV Official

There should be no problem with the 2002 Scrambler CDI. The 2003 Alphas and Polaris do have the built in REV limiter. Of course the old 2001 boxes have been up dated to the 2003 boxes in the parts warehouses. Yes the 2001 boxes are most desired. When replacing the CDI with the "performance boxes" some of your switches will no longer function and you will need to go to a Pro Design kill tether to kill it. But.... No more rev limiter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 6:54 am 

Billy Holt wrote:
There should be no problem with the 2002 Scrambler CDI. The 2003 Alphas and Polaris do have the built in REV limiter. Of course the old 2001 boxes have been up dated to the 2003 boxes in the parts warehouses. Yes the 2001 boxes are most desired. When replacing the CDI with the "performance boxes" some of your switches will no longer function and you will need to go to a Pro Design kill tether to kill it. But.... No more rev limiter.

So you are saying my problem is not the CDI? it sure seems like the ignition is dropping out on it at WOT. After rejetting, it didn't make it run any better after it's maxxed out, but does seem to be running richer (plug's a darker color).

If not the CDI, then what should be my next move for more speed and making the top end run smoother, and still be able to qualify as "stock"? A filter (Uni or K&N) are on my list.

Bryce