ATV Source.com | Calendar | ATV/UTV Reviews | ATV/UTV News | ATV/UTV Product Reviews | ATV/UTV Racing | ATV/UTV Trails | ATV/UTV Videos

ATVSource.com Social Community Forums

ATVSource.com is a social community site based on the needs of ATV/UTV fans alike.
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Polaris fluids.
PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 6:20 pm 
Still on the Trailer Member

As I am getting past break in, it is time to change some fluids. I see the manual recommends Polaris brand everything. What are you guys using for engine oil, gearcase oil? Is anything vendor approved besides Polaris brand?

Hopper

ADVERTISEMENT

Post subject: hmmmmmmmmmmm.
PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 6:51 pm 

I'd be interested to know this, too.

Post subject: Oil
PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 7:49 pm 

Polaris says you can use any brand of API certified SH oil that is 0W-40. I have never seen any 0W-40 oil except at the dealer but I guess its out there. As far as differential lube, I always use the manufacture's recommended differential lube as I have found there is a wide variety of mixtures out there. In the front differential on some quads there is a limited slip mechanism and using the wrong lube will really mess things up. The differential lube is the only thing I don't use other brands on.
Kruser

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 8:42 pm 
ATV Enthusiast Member

Ive always used Polaris' own fluids and never had an issue with any that Ive owned.
I know that some people like to use Amsoil or Mobil 1 or whatever and that is fine. When Polaris first started making 4-strokes they had problems with people using non-detergent 30w oil and as you can guess having engine failures. A lot of farmers still swear by 30w oil and for whatever reason think that 10w-30 and 30w is the same. Its not!
As long as you use a good quality oil (anything name brand) you should be fine.
If you should happen to be running a 2-stroke Polaris, I would not spend the extra money for Polaris Gold synthetic oil. I still run Polaris Blue in my 250 and we always ran Polaris Blue in all of the Polaris snowmobiles that my family owned. In fact, we just recently got away from Blue because most of the snowmobiles we have now have variable exhaust valves, which needs the cleaner-burning oil so that the valves dont stick. Yes, blue will smoke a little more but it also is far cheaper than gold. If smoke bothers you that much, you probably dont own a 2-stroke anyways.
RNR

Post subject: What fluids?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 9:57 pm 
ATV Enthusiast Member

I have a 2000 F350 truck with over 100,000 miles on the odometer. I use the oil that came with the truck Shell Rotell-T.
I have a Polaris Victory motorcycle. I use what the dealer told me to put in the bike. Amsoil.
I have two 500 H.O.'s I use what I get from work Polaris 0-40W.
I tend to use what the dealers/mechanics tell me to use.

Chet
p.s I use synthetics in the F350's trans and diff and coolant.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 8:25 pm 
ATV Enthusiast Member

Engine oil:
-Amsoil 0W-40 4 stroke syn. oil
-Mobil 1 0W-40 syn oil "Eurpoean Car formula"

Oil filter:
NAPA Gold #1358 (500 HO motor)

Hubs:
-Mobil 1 syn ATF
-ATF Type F

Front gearcase:
-Synthetic 80W-90 gear oil (marine grade works very well)

Transmission:
-Amsoil Series 2000 Syn. Chaincase lube
-Klotz Snomobile Chain Case Syn. Lube

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 8:37 pm 
ATV Official
ATV Official

I use nothing but the Polaris brand recommended fluids. Going on the recommended service intervals, oil changes come once or twice a year and everything else is annual.

I don't mind spending a couple of bucks more for the recommended fluids once a year- that way I know I'm using the right stuff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 10:58 pm 
ATV Enthusiast Member

Lost1 wrote:
I use nothing but the Polaris brand recommended fluids. Going on the recommended service intervals, oil changes come once or twice a year and everything else is annual.

I don't mind spending a couple of bucks more for the recommended fluids once a year- that way I know I'm using the right stuff.

I totally agree with you on that one. Polaris built how many bikes and how many did I build? Some feel the 'recommended oil' is a scam or is overpriced. There are a few oil additive types out there that I believe are snake oil and dent get near my stuff. Quick story. I bought 91 ka-5 blazer from original owner with 219,000 miles on it. I have ALL service recordsand he changed oil every 3000 miles put in recommended oil and filters and this vehicle now has 236.000 and NEVER had the valve covers off. Uses 1.5 quarts between changes.(two tyrannies and 1 rear end though ) :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 9:04 am 
ATV Enthusiast Member

I've only ever used Polaris fluids.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 6:49 pm 

Due to some noise issues caused by a little gear wear in my tranny(it is a '95) my POLARIS tech just switched me from Polaris AGL to 80w90 gearoil.