ATV Source.com | Calendar | ATV/UTV Reviews | ATV/UTV News | ATV/UTV Product Reviews | ATV/UTV Racing | ATV/UTV Trails | ATV/UTV Videos

ATVSource.com Social Community Forums

ATVSource.com is a social community site based on the needs of ATV/UTV fans alike.
It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: quad sales tax
PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2003 7:43 am 
ATV Enthusiast Member

question for anyone who knows. do you have to pay sales tax if you buy a quad from another state? some ads say you don;t but some dealers say you do . are there different laws about it in different states.i'm getting ready to buy a mini-quad and got a good price with no sales tax in ohio and the same price in florida but have to pay sales tax.could someone clarify the law.thanks

ADVERTISEMENT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2003 8:20 am 
ATV Junkie

I cannot speak for all states,but in Pa.when we ship complete quads out of state they don't have to pay us sales tax.Although no matter what you do have to pay taxes,so when you register it in your home state, you will pay then.Again thats is the Pa. way.Last week a guy bought a quad in Ohio and came here to get registration and pay the state sales tax....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2003 8:36 am 
ATVing Obsessed Member

When you purchase a quad out of state you do not pay their state's sales tax.

You only have to pay your state sales tax if you choose to register it in your name, then and only then are you required to pay state sales tax.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2003 11:00 am 
Trail Riding Member

I think there is a difference between purchasing the quad out of state and having it shipped to your home state, and purchasing the quad out state in person.

I recently drove to NH to pick up a mini quad without sales tax. But if I want to register it, I need to show proof that I paid the sales tax. I purposely had the salesman put a valid (but not mine) NH address on the sales receipt so I would nto get nailed down the road.

Such as, if I brought the quad and put my CT address, then at some point (unless I am lucky) CT will come after me for the sales tax. But since there is a NH address, when CT looks around for these type of purchases (and they do) they will not know.

There are many ways to get out of paying sales tax on out of state purchases. But the registration is what will kill you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2003 2:08 pm 
ATV Enthusiast Member

I live in Georgia near the Ga.- Al. state line. In the past I bought a Ktm 50 from a Alabama dealer and didnt have to pay any sales tax. This past summer I bought two quads from a different Alabama dealer and was told I had a choice to pay Alabamas 2.5% sales tax or pay Georgia's 7% tax. I was told if I didn' pay any sales tax the purchase would have to be reported to my home state and that at some point Georgia would come after me to collect the tax. I dont know if the dealer was blowing smoke up my rear end or not because in Georgia we dont have to register our Atv's. You can probably guess which tax I chose to pay. On the Honda 90 it was only $50 and the 250Ex it was around $100 . The dealer worked us a pretty good deal compared to the dealers in Georgia. No freight, no set up fees and discounted both Atv's below list price. The dealers in the Atlanta metro area think everybody around here has a high producing money tree growing in their backyard and wouldnt even consider any type of negotitions. I wish I could give the dealer in Oxford,Alabama a plug. The one that sells Honda's,Kawasaki's and Susuki's, but I dont know if that would be prudent. :lol:
So to answer your question I think it vary's from state to state and sometimes dealer to dealer.