The Honda FourTrax Rancher 4x4 ES
with Honda's revolutionary Electric Shift Program
(ESP) is the king of full-sized 4WD ATVs-designed
for the rider who demands Honda's legendary innovation,
proven 4WD durability and unparalleled performance.
Features & Benefits
• ESP (Electric Shift Program) features push-button
upshifting and downshifting. The rider shifts simply
and precisely with the press of the upshift or downshift
button mounted on the left handlebar. An onboard
electronic control unit (ECU) monitors information
from four sensors-engine rpm, countershaft speed,
shift drum angle, and shift spindle angle sensors-to
control the speed of the electric shift motor's
gear and clutch engagement. Gear engagement speed
varies according to rider style: The transmission
shifts more quickly when riding style turns sporty.
A neutral lockout at speeds greater than 2 mph ensures
available engine braking when descending hills.
To ensure smooth shifting, the transmission cannot
be shifted from neutral to first gear or reverse
gear at engine speeds above 3000 rpm. ESP is not
battery-dependent, operating whenever the engine
is running. Should the rider ever need to shift
manually, the Rancher ES is also equipped with an
auxiliary shift lever in the tool kit.
• Powerful, rugged OHV air-cooled 329cc longitudinally
mounted engine allows direct drive-shaft alignment
to both front and rear wheels for improved drivetrain
• Unique dry-sump oiling system places the oil tank
inside the engine cases, lowering engine height
and allowing optimum engine placement for excellent
ground clearance and superb handling.
• Standard oil cooler with cooling fan assures optimal
engine lubrication under difficult operating conditions.
• Closed crankcase vent system safeguards against
engine oil contamination.
• Torque-sensitive, limited-slip front differential
reduces torque steer for less steering effort.
• Rugged frame and suspension provide an exceptional
9.7 inches of ground clearance.
• Multi-function LCD digital instrumentation is
compact, tough and waterproof, featuring
large readouts for gear position, speedometer, odometer,
resettable tripmeter and hourmeter/clock. Instrument
housing includes LED lights for reverse, neutral
and oil temperature warning indicators.
• Waterproof accessory socket provides 12-volt,
10-amp power with a built-in temperature-type fuse.
• Overhead-valve design provides compact engine
dimensions for improved ground clearance while maintaining
a broad, easy-to-use power band.
• Internal crankcase dry-sump oiling system reduces
overall engine height and lowers center of gravity
while maintaining ideal mass centralization for
• Integral electric carburetor-heater system improves
driveability and ensures smooth operation in cold
• Rubber-cushion engine mounting and gear-driven
counterbalancer reduce vibration.
• Super-heavy-duty automatic clutch with a low engagement
point for excellent driveability and towing capability.
• Five-speed transmission with reverse includes
an ultra-low first gear.
• Full-time four-wheel-drive with torque-sensitive
limited-slip front differential for reduced steering
• Convenient electric starter, with auxiliary recoil
starter and an automatic internal decompression
• High-flow oil cooler with cooling fan helps control
• Stainless steel exhaust header and muffler for
superior corrosion resistance.
• DC CD ignition with electronic advance for excellent
performance and reliability.
• Powerful, 245-watt AC generator.
• Reusable foam air filter.
• Steering mechanism design features light effort
and a tight turning radius of 10.8
• Independent double-wishbone front suspension uses
premium shock absorbers to provide 5.9 inches of
suspension travel for a plush, comfortable ride.
• Steel swingarm and single rear shock absorber
provide 5.9 inches of suspension travel for superb
comfort and compliance.
• Tough, large-diameter
24 x 8-12 front, 24 x 9-11 rear tires provide added
ground clearance while maintaining precise handling.
• Triple-sealed front hydraulic drum brakes and
sealed mechanical rear drum.
• Thickly padded seat provides all-day comfort.
• Standard over-fenders give excellent mud protection.
• Large cargo racks front and rear carry payloads
of 66 and 133 pounds respectively.
• Heavy-duty trailer hitch with towing capacity
of 850 pounds.
• Large, lightweight plastic fuel tank with 3.4-gallon
• Fuel gauge is standard equipment.
• Snorkel-type air intake system is specially designed
for water crossings.
• Uniquely designed floorboards, a Honda first,
allow the rider's feet to grip the footrests while
keeping mud and debris off of the rider's feet.
• Unique rear-opening storage compartment allows
access when rack is loaded.
• Twin-headlight system with 30-watt bulbs features
multi-reflector lenses for optimal light distribution.
• USDA-qualified spark arrester/muffler.
• Constant-velocity-joint boot guards help prevent
damage to boot covers.
• Tough 12 amp-hour maintenance-free
• Durable, comfortable, easy-to-use controls.
• Keyed ignition switch for added security.
• Triple skidplates.
• Easy-to-use parking brake.
• Top-mounted choke lever for simple operation.
• Handlebar switches, controls and warning labels
use internationally approved ISO graphic symbols.
• Standard tool kit includes a tire pressure gauge.
• G.V.W.R. is 1045 pounds.
• Assembled in Marysville, Ohio.
• Transferable six-month limited warranty.
• Flag kit.
• Work stand.
Engine Type: 329cc air-cooled OHV dry-sump
Bore and Stroke: 78.5mm x 68mm
Carburetion: 32mm CV
Ignition: DC CDI
Starter: Electric with auxiliary recoil
Transmission: Electric, five-speed with reverse
and ultra-low first gear
Driveline: Direct front and rear drive-shafts
with limited-slip AP-type front differential
Front: Independent double-wishbone; 5.9 inches travel
Rear: Swingarm with single shock; 5.9 inches travel
Front: Triple sealed hydraulic drum
Rear: Sealed mechanical drum
Front: 24 x 8-12
Rear: 24 x 9-11
Length: 78.1 inches
Width: 45.0 inches
Height: 44.3 inches
Seat Height: 32.4 inches
Ground Clearance: 9.7 inches
Wheelbase: 49.1 inches
Turning Radius: 10.8 feet
Dry Weight: 535 pounds
Fuel Capacity: 3.4 gallons, including 0.8-gallon
Colors: Red, Orange, Olive