The highly acclaimed Sportrax(tm) 400EX dominates
the competition with outstanding performance and
Features & Benefits
New for 2002
• Honda Racing-inspired graphics.
• The 397cc RFVC(tm) engine draws its breath
from the same engine that powers the bulletproof
• The ultra-lightweight TRX400EX weighs only 375
• Long-travel suspension exceeds that of even Honda's
• Rugged steel frame with removable subframe for
• Beautiful one-piece cast aluminum swingarm offers
• Radial tires for exceptional handling.
• Triple disc brakes provide superb stopping power.
• Aggressive body style complements the all-sport
• High-performance 397cc dry-sump air-cooled
four-stroke single-cylinder engine.
• Radial Four-Valve Combustion Chamber (RFVC) for
maximum combustion efficiency and horsepower.
• Camshaft timing developed especially to meet ATV
requirements for torque and useable horsepower.
• Gear-driven counterbalancer minimizes engine vibration
for smooth operation.
• Dual intake and exhaust ports for maximum engine
efficiency in sport operating conditions.
• Maintenance-free automatic cam chain tensioner.
• Closed crankcase vent system safeguards against
engine oil contamination.
• 35.5mm carburetor provides light throttle effort,
superb air/fuel mixing and excellent driveability.
An accelerator pump assures excellent throttle response
for maximum power.
• Stainless steel dual exhaust headpipes resist
• USDA-qualified muffler/spark arrester offers quiet
operation and maximum power.
• Solid-state CD ignition with electronic advance
and 9100-rpm engine rev limiter.
• Heavy-duty clutch has 2mm-thick plates designed
to stand up to sport ATV demands.
• High-efficiency oil cooler supplements the large-capacity
oil tank for maximum engine cooling.
• Five-speed transmission with gears designed and
ratios selected specifically for sport ATV use.
• Round-tube steel frame with removable subframe
is lightweight, durable and very strong.
• One-piece cast aluminum swingarm for maximum strength,
rigidity and durability.
• Independent double-wishbone front suspension offers
8.2 inches of travel from twin Showa(r) shock absorbers
with five-position adjustable spring preload for
superb ride quality over harsh terrain.
• Pro-Link(r) rear suspension with a fully adjustable
large-diameter aluminum-body piggyback Showa shock
absorber provides 9.1 inches of travel.
• Triple disc brakes for excellent stopping power
and a weight-saving aluminum rear caliper stay.
• All Pro-Link components are made of aluminum to
further reduce vehicle weight.
• Lightweight aluminum wheels reduce unsprung weight
for even better handling.
• Radial tires with knobby pattern provide superb
traction and cornering ability.
• Durable and lightweight heavy-duty O-ring-sealed
• Easy-to-use eccentric chain adjuster.
• Engine design produces low emissions and meets
California Air Resources Board (CARB) off-road emissions
• Convenient push-button electric starting.
• Long, narrow seat provides excellent comfort and
superb sport riding ergonomics.
• Aggressive styling of front cowl, fuel tank and
fenders complements pure-sport ATV design.
• Plastic fuel tank is durable and won't rust.
• Dual 30-watt headlights integrated into front
cowl provide distinctive sport style and excellent
• Snorkel-type airbox to avoid water and dirt contamination.
• Washable, two-stage large-capacity foam air filter.
• Oil tank features a dipstick for easy maintenance.
• Comfortable dogleg levers; clutch lever has cable
adjuster and dust cover.
• Tough steel front skidplate.
• Heavy-duty steel skidplate protects rear brake
disc and sprocket.
• Engine cases protected by a
tough urethane skidplate.
• Rear mudguard with rigid footrests.
• Maintenance-free battery.
• Keyed ignition switch offers added security.
• Multi-function handlebar switch assembly is simple
• Easy-to-use parking brake.
• Tool kit includes low-pressure air gauge and owner's
• Assembled in Timmonsville, South Carolina.
• Transferable six-month limited warranty.
• Flag kit.
• Work stand.
Engine Type: 397cc RFVC air-cooled dry-sump
Bore and Stroke: 85mm x 70mm
Carburetion: 35.5mm piston-valve with accelerator
Ignition: Solid-state CD with electronic
Driveline: O-ring-sealed chain
Front: Independent double-wishbone
with Showa shocks, five-position spring preload
adjustability; 8.2 inches travel
Rear: Pro-Link fully adjustable single
Showa shock;9.1 inches travel
Front: Dual hydraulic 174mm discs
Rear: Single 220mm disc
Front: 22 x 7-10 knobby radial
Rear: 20 x 10-9 knobby radial
Length: 72.2 inches
Width: 45.3 inches
Height: 43.7 inches
Seat Height: 31.9 inches
Ground Clearance: 4.3 inches
Wheelbase: 48.4 inches
Turning Radius: 10.5 feet
Dry Weight: 375 pounds
Fuel Capacity: 2.6 gallons, including 0.4-gallon
Colors: Red, Yellow
For highly experienced riders
16 years of age and older.