Recon ES/FourTrax Recon
For 2002, Honda adds a second Recon model to
the line-up, the Recon ES, applying Honda's revolutionary
Electric Shift Program (ESP) to the best mid-size
ATV you can buy.
Features & Benefits
• ES model features ESP(tm) (Electric Shift Program)
features push-button upshifting and downshifting.
The rider shifts simply and precisely with the press
of the upshift or downshift button mounted on the
left handlebar. An onboard electronic control module
(ECM) monitors information from four sensors--engine
rpm, countershaft speed, gear position, and shift
spindle angle--to control the speed of the electric
shift motor's gear and clutch engagement. Gear engagement
speed varies according to rider style: The transmission
shifts more quickly when riding style turns sporty.
A neutral lockout at speeds greater than 2 mph ensures
available engine braking when descending hills.
To ensure smooth shifting, the transmission cannot
be shifted from neutral to first gear or reverse
gear at engine speeds above 3000 rpm. ESP is not
battery-dependent, operating whenever the engine
is running. Should the rider ever need to shift
manually, the Recon(r) ES is also equipped with
an auxiliary shift lever in the tool kit.
• Both the Recon ES and Recon feature the high-performance
cylinder head from the Sportrax 250EX, along with
a new carburetor for improved torque and engine
power which adds to the sporty feel.
• An oil cooler is standard equipment on both Recon
ES and Recon models, assuring optimal engine temperatures
under difficult operating conditions.
• The Recon ES has uniquely designed floorboards,
which allow the rider's feet to grip the footrests
while keeping mud and debris away from the rider's
• The Recon ES features a gear indicator along with
neutral and reverse lights.
• Lightweight, OHV air-cooled 229cc engine is
longitudinally mounted to allow direct drive-shaft
alignment to rear wheels for fewer frictional losses.
• 22mm carburetor with light throttle control offers
good engine response and excellent fuel economy.
• Overhead-valve design offers a wide, easy-to-use
powerband and compact engine dimensions.
• Closed crankcase vent system safeguards against
engine oil contamination.
• Rubber-cushion engine mounting reduces vibration.
• USDA-qualified spark arrester/muffler is constructed
of stainless steel.
• Automatic cam-chain tensioner reduces maintenance.
• Convenient electric starter with auxiliary recoil
• Wet sump with 1.6-quart capacity.
• CD ignition system with electronic advance features
an rpm limiter for added durability.
• Five-speed transmission with reverse and automatic
clutch on the Recon.
• Lightweight double-cradle steel chassis.
• Maintenance-free shaft drive routes power directly
from the longitudinally mounted engine without inefficient
• Independent double-wishbone front suspension gives
5.1 inches of travel.
• Steel swingarm and single rear shock absorber
give 4.9 inches of travel.
• Dual sealed front hydraulic drum brakes and sealed
mechanical rear drum.
• Tires feature aggressive tread patterns for excellent
• Ergonomically designed seating and control
layouts provide a comfortable operating position
for a wide range of rider sizes.
• Large cargo racks front and rear allow payloads
of 33 and 66 pounds respectively.
• Large, lightweight plastic fuel tank with 2.4-gallon
• Snorkel-type air intake system is specially designed
for water crossings.
• Storage compartment has 6.2-liter capacity.
• Dual-headlight system with 25-watt lights.
• Maintenance-free battery.
• Powerful, 123-watt AC generator.
• Reusable foam air filter.
• Neutral and reverse lights on Recon model.
• Durable, comfortable, easy-to-use controls.
• Keyed ignition switch for added security.
• Easy-to-use parking brake.
• Standard tool kit includes a tire pressure gauge.
• G.V.W.R. is 816 pounds for TRX250TE / 807 pounds
• Assembled in Timmonsville, South Carolina.
• Transferable six-month limited warranty.
• Flag kit.
• Work stand.
• Trailer hitch.
TRX250TE (with ESP) / TRX250TM
Engine Type: 229cc air-cooled OHV longitudinally
mounted single-cylinder four-stroke
Bore and Stroke: 68.5mm x 62.2mm
Ignition: CD with electronic advance
Starter: Electric with auxiliary recoil
Transmission: ESP five-speed with reverse
/ Five-speed with reverse
Front: Independent double-wishbone;
5.1 inches travel
Rear: Swingarm with single shock; 4.9
Front: Dual sealed hydraulic drum
Rear: Sealed drum
Front: 22 x 7-11
Rear: 22 x 10-9
Length: 70.6 inches
Width: 40.7 inches
Height: 41.5 inches
Seat Height: 30.6 inches
Ground Clearance: 6.0 inches
Wheelbase: 44.5 inches
Turning Radius: 8.5 feet
Dry Weight: 414 pounds / 406 pounds
Fuel Capacity: 2.4 gallons, including 0.6-gallon
Colors: Red, Olive, Beige
Recommended for riders 16 years
of age and older.