With the high-performance
sporting TRX450R, Honda has elevated the state of
the art by combining superb handling, awesome power
and legendary Honda durability.
New for 2005
- New Black color joins Red.
- Powerful purpose-built ATV four-stroke 450cc
liquid-cooled four-valve Unicam(tm) engine is
based on the award-winning CRF(tm)450R motocross
- Compact, lightweight engine designed specifically
for ATV usage is worthy of its CRF heritage.
- Unicam valve train provides the light weight
of a compact single-cam drive and the optimum
combustion chamber shape for maximum power at
all engine rpm.
- Unicam valve train features a carburized
single camshaft that directly actuates two 36mm
steel intake valves. The camshaft exhaust lobe
actuates two 30mm steel exhaust valves via a
forked, low-friction roller rocker-arm.
- Lightweight, compact, internal auto decompressor
provides superb cold-starting and hot-starting
- Engine incorporates ATV-type forward kickstarting
for ease of starting and light weight.
- Crankshaft is made of high-strength, low-carbon
steel with carburized main journals for maximum
durability at sustained high-rpm operation.
- Cylinder head cover is made of magnesium
to reduce engine weight.
- Cast 10.5:1 compression piston features
28.4mm piston skirt length, with three piston
rings for added durability.
- Double-carburized connecting rod utilizes
a big-end needle bearing for maximum high-rpm
performance and durability.
- Nikasil(r) cylinder lining is lightweight
and provides cooler and quieter operation for
extended engine life.
- Press-fitted steel spark plug pipe fits
between forked exhaust rocker arms, further
contributing to compact cylinder head design.
- 42mm Keihin butterfly-type carburetor features
light throttle effort, smooth operation and
- Carburetor features a throttle position
sensor (TPS) that helps maintain linear response
throughout the rpm range.
- Twin-sump lubrication system separates the
oil supply for the crankshaft, piston and valve
train from the clutch and transmission. This
ensures a cool supply of oil to the clutch,
eliminates clutch and transmission material
contamination to the engine oil, and reduces
the amount of circulating oil and the required
size of the oil pump. This design allows for
an oil cooler and no external oil tank is needed.
- Aluminum oil cooler ensures a cool supply
- Vertically split crankcases feature a built-in
oil pump, reducing weight compared to a conventional
- Left side countershaft bearing and axle
carrier feature double-row bearings for added
- Exhaust system uses a lightweight stainless
steel header and muffler.
- High-capacity radiator is rated at 17.2Kw
for efficient engine cooling in extreme operating
- Compact, flat radiator fan is lightweight
and provides efficient cooling.
- Gear-driven balancer reduces vibration and
drives the water pump. Eight clutch plates provide
the surface area necessary to handle the engine's
- Durable five-speed transmission with all-new
ratios designed for ATV application.
- Round-tube steel frame with removable aluminum
subframe is lightweight and durable.
- One-piece cast aluminum swingarm for light
weight, maximum strength and durability.
- Independent double-wishbone front suspension
with fully adjustable Showa(r) shocks provides
8.4 inches of travel, and features rear-facing
reservoirs for increased durability.
- Pro-Link(r) rear suspension with fully adjustable
Showa piggyback shock provides 9 inches of travel.
- Dual 174mm front disc brakes with twin-piston
calipers and new high-pressure front brake lines
provide excellent stopping power.
- 190mm rear disc and beefy single-piston
caliper provide improved stopping power and
increased ground clearance.
- Aluminum brake calipers and brackets front
and rear reduce weight.
- Removable aluminum rear grabrail and front
bumper for reduced weight.
- Lightweight aluminum wheels reduce unsprung
weight for outstanding handling.
- Dunlop radial tires provide superb traction
and cornering ability.
- Durable and lightweight O-ring-sealed drive
- Engine design meets California Air Resources
Board (CARB) off-road emissions standards.
- Convenient oil-level window allows for at-a-glance
- Long, narrow seat is designed for superior
comfort and performance in all operating conditions.
Saddle is also easy to remove for convenient
access to the air filter.
- Adjustable dual headlights with 30-watt
bulbs and improved reflectors for excellent
visibility and distinctive appearance.
- Pivot-access brake calipers for easy pad
- Engine cases protected by high-impact plastic
- LED tail/brake light for light weight and
- CRF-style adjustable clutch and front brake
- Wide footpegs for improved rider control.
- Aluminum shift and brake pedals.
- CRF-type handlebar grips.
- Honda Racing-inspired colors and graphics.
- Optional HRC(r) Racing Kit available.
- Transferable six-month limited warranty;
extended coverage available with a Honda Protection
- Ownership includes one-year complimentary
membership in the Honda Rider's Club of America(tm)
(HRCA(r)). Benefits include: discounts, travel
benefits, roadside assistance for ATV transport
vehicle while ATV is being transported, one
year complimentary subscription to Honda Red
Rider ATV(tm) magazine, access to HRCA Clubhouse
Web site (www.hrca.honda.com),
access online to Honda Common Service Manual.
For HRCA details, call 1-800-847-HRCA.
2005 Honda TRX450R Specifications
- Engine Type: 450cc liquid-cooled
- Bore and Stroke: 94mm x 64.8mm
- Compression Ratio: 10.5:1
- Valve Train: Unicam; four-valve
- Carburetion: Keihin 42mm with throttle
position sensor (TPS)
- Ignition: CD with electronic advance
- Starter: Forward kick
- Transmission: Five-speed
- Final Drive: O-ring-sealed chain
Front: Independent double-wishbone with Showa shocks,
featuring adjustable spring preload, rebound
and compression damping; 8.4 inches travel
Rear: Pro-Link with single Showa shock featuring
adjustable spring preload, rebound and compression
damping; 9 inches of travel
Front: Dual hydraulic 174mm discs with twin-piston
Rear: Single hydraulic 190mm disc with single-piston
Front: 22 x
7-10 knobby radial
Rear: 20 x 10-9
- Length: 72.6 inches
- Width: 46.3 inches
- Height: 43.6 inches
- Seat Height: 32.6 inches
- Ground Clearance: 4.2 inches
- Wheelbase: 49.2 inches
- Dry Weight: 350 pounds
- Fuel Capacity: 3.2 gallons
- Colors: Red, Black
Consult owner's manual for optional HRC Racing
Kit parts. For highly experienced riders 16 years
of age and older.