styling and the convenience of a Reverse gear, the
sport model TRX400EX combines high performance and
refinement like nothing else in its class.
New for 2006
- New Black color joins Red.
- The 397cc RFVC engine draws its breath from
the same engine that powered the bulletproof
- Rugged steel frame with removable subframe
for easy maintenance.
- Beautiful one-piece cast-aluminum swingarm
offers exceptional rigidity.
- Radial tires for exceptional handling.
- Triple disc brakes provide superb stopping
- Aggressive body style complements the all-sport
- High-performance 397cc dry-sump air-cooled
four-stroke single-cylinder engine.
- Radial Four-Valve Combustion Chamber (RFVC)
for maximum combustion efficiency and horsepower.
- Camshaft timing developed especially to
meet ATV requirements for torque and useable
- Gear-driven counterbalancer minimizes engine
vibration for smooth operation.
- Dual intake and exhaust ports for maximum
engine efficiency in sport operating conditions.
- Maintenance-free automatic cam-chain tensioner.
- Closed crankcase vent system safeguards
against engine oil contamination.
- 38mm carburetor provides light throttle
effort, superb air/fuel mixing and driveability.
An accelerator pump ensures excellent throttle
response for maximum power.
- Stainless steel dual exhaust head pipes
- USDA-qualified muffler/spark arrester offers
quiet operation and maximum power.
- CD ignition with electronic advance and
9100-rpm engine rev limiter.
- Heavy-duty clutch has 2mm-thick plates designed
to stand up to sport-ATV demands.
- High-efficiency oil cooler supplements the
large-capacity oil tank for maximum engine cooling.
- Five-speed transmission with Reverse has
gears and ratios specifically designed for sport-ATV
- Round-tube steel frame with removable subframe
is lightweight, durable and very strong.
- One-piece cast-aluminum swingarm for maximum
strength, rigidity and durability.
- Independent double-wishbone front suspension
offers 8.2 inches of travel from twin Showa
shock absorbers with five-position adjustable
spring preload for superb ride quality over
- Pro-Link® rear suspension with a fully adjustable
large-diameter aluminum-body piggyback Showa
shock absorber provides 9.1 inches of travel.
- Triple disc brakes for excellent stopping
power and a weight-saving aluminum rear caliper
- All Pro-Link components are made of aluminum
to further reduce vehicle weight.
- Lightweight aluminum wheels reduce unsprung
weight for even better handling.
- Radial tires with knobby pattern provide
superb traction and cornering ability.
- Durable and lightweight heavy-duty O-ring-sealed
- Easy-to-use eccentric chain adjuster.
- TRX™450R-inspired bodywork.
- Engine design meets California Air Resources
Board (CARB) off-road emissions standards.
- Convenient push-button electric starting.
- Long, narrow seat provides excellent comfort
and superb sport riding ergonomics.
- Aggressive styling of front cowl, fuel tank
and fenders complements pure-sport ATV design.
- Durable plastic fuel tank.
- Dual 30W headlights integrated into front
cowl provide distinctive sport style and excellent
- Rear brakelight.
- Snorkel-type airbox to avoid water and dirt
- Washable, two-stage, large-capacity foam
- Oil tank features a dipstick for easy maintenance.
- Comfortable dogleg levers; clutch lever
has cable adjuster and dust cover.
Tough steel front skid
- Heavy-duty steel skid plate protects rear
brake disc and sprocket.
- Engine cases protected by a
tough urethane skid
- Rear mudguard with rigid footrests.
- Maintenance-free battery.
- Keyed ignition switch offers added security.
- Multi-function handlebar switch assembly
is simple to operate.
- Easy-to-use parking brake.
- Tool kit includes low-pressure air gauge
and owner's manual.
- Assembled in Timmonsville, South Carolina.
- Transferable six-month limited warranty;
extended coverage available with a Honda Protection
- Ownership includes one-year complimentary
membership for an individual in the Honda Rider's
Club of America™ (HRCA®). Benefits include:
discounts, travel benefits, roadside assistance
for ATV transport vehicle while ATV is being
transported, one year of Honda Red Rider ATV™
magazine, access to HRCA Clubhouse Web site
(www.hrca. honda.com) and access online to Honda
Common Service Manual. For HRCA details, call
1-800-847-HRCA. For dealers only, please call
2006 Honda TRX400EX Specifications
- Engine Type: 397cc RFVC air-cooled dry-sump
- Bore and Stroke: 85mm x 70mm
- Carburetion: 38mm piston-valve with accelerator
- Ignition: CD with electronic advance
- Starter: Electric
- Clutch: Manual
- Transmission: Five-speed with reverse
- Driveline: O-ring-sealed chain
Front: Independent double-wishbone with Showa shocks, five-position
spring preload adjustability; 8.2 inches travel
Rear: Pro-Link fully adjustable single Showa shock; 9.1
Front: Dual hydraulic 174mm discs
Rear: Single 220mm disc
Front: 22 x 7-10 knobby radial
Rear: 20x 10-9 knobby radial
- Length: 72.2 inches
- Width: 45.3 inches
- Height: 43.7 inches
- Seat Height: 31.9 inches
- Ground Clearance: 4.3 inches
- Wheelbase: 48.4 inches
- Turning Radius: 10.5 feet
- Dry Weight: 386 pounds
- Fuel Capacity: 2.6 gallons, including 0.4-gallon
- Color: Red, Black
For highly experienced riders 16 years of age