For 2006, the
TRX450R is an all-new machine from the ground up,
and features more power, sharper handling and an
electric start option.
New for 2006
- All-new engine is closely related to the
CRF(R)450R and CRF450X.
- Electric starter available for easy starting
in all conditions.
- Maximum engine rpm is 9850.
- New 40mm Keihin FCR-type carburetor for
improved engine response.
- Forged slipper piston is lighter than a
conventional design, revving quickly while maintaining
excellent cylinder sealing and high-rpm power.
- Compression ratio increased from 10.5:1
- New transmission ratios designed for racing
applications and trail use.
- Longer swingarm and new linkage ratio for
- New A-arms, knuckles and spindles for improved
- Stronger hubs provide improved rigidity.
- 8mm lower riding position for lower center-of-gravity,
improved handling and rider feel.
- Front suspension is lighter and features
a new spring for improved bump absorption.
- Rear suspension is lighter for improved
handling and travel has been increased from
9.0 inches to 9.3 inches.
- New airbox for improved airflow and increased
- Air filter is 1.4 times larger than previous
unit for improved airflow and power.
- New exhaust system and free-flowing muffler
increase performance while maintaining low noise
- New cylinder head porting features improved
flow for maximum performance.
- Lighter radiator features revised fin pitch
for increased airflow.
- New headlight shape for race-derived look.
- Powerful four-stroke 450cc liquid-cooled
four-valve Unicam(R) engine is based on the
award-winning CRF450R motocross and CRF450X
- Compact, lightweight engine designed specifically
for ATV usage is worthy of its CRF heritage.
- Unicam valve train provides the light weight
of a compact single-cam drive and the optimum
combustion chamber shape for maximum power at
all engine rpm.
- Unicam valve train features a carburized
single camshaft that directly actuates two 36mm
titanium intake valves. The camshaft exhaust
lobe actuates two 30mm steel exhaust valves
via a forked, low-friction roller rocker-arm.
- Electric start version features an electric
starter that drives the clutch side of the crankshaft
to provide superior lubrication of starter gears,
and produce a narrow engine with a short, strong
- Lightweight, compact, internal auto decompressor
provides superb cold-starting and hot-starting
- Kickstart version incorporates ATV-type
forward kickstarting for ease of starting and
- Crankshaft is made of high-strength, low-carbon
steel with carburized main journals for maximum
durability at sustained high-rpm operation.
- Cylinder head cover is made of magnesium
to reduce engine weight.
- Forged three ring 12.0:1 compression slipper
piston is lighter than a conventional design,
revving quickly while maintaining excellent
cylinder sealing and high-rpm power.
- Double-carburized connecting rod utilizes
a big-end needle bearing for maximum high-rpm
performance and durability.
- Nikasil cylinder lining is lightweight and
provides cooler and quieter operation for extended
- Press-fitted steel spark plug pipe fits
between forked exhaust rocker arms, further
contributing to compact cylinder head design.
- 40mm Keihin FCR-type carburetor features
four rollers on the flat slide, resulting in
very light throttle effort, smooth operation,
crisp throttle response and excellent rideability.
- Carburetor features a throttle position
sensor (TPS) that helps maintain linear response
throughout the rpm range.
- Twin-sump lubrication system separates the
oil supply for the crankshaft, piston and valve
train from the clutch and transmission. This
ensures a cool supply of oil to the clutch,
eliminates clutch and transmission material
contamination to the engine oil, and reduces
the amount of circulating oil and the required
size of the oil pump.
- Vertically split crankcases feature a built-in
oil pump, reducing weight compared to a conventional
- Left side countershaft bearing and axle
carrier feature double-row bearings for added
- Exhaust system uses a lightweight stainless
steel header and muffler.
- Radiator is lighter weight and has revised
fin pitch for improved air flow in all riding
- Compact, flat radiator fan is lightweight
and provides efficient cooling.
- Gear-driven balancer reduces vibration and
drives the water pump. Eight clutch plates provide
the surface area necessary to handle the engine's
- Durable five-speed transmission with all-new
lower ratios designed to match new engine power
- New rider's position features 8mm lower
handlebar, seat and footpegs for improved center
of gravity and rider feel.
- Round-tube steel frame with removable aluminum
subframe is lightweight and durable.
- One-piece cast aluminum swingarm for light
weight, maximum strength and durability.
- Independent double-wishbone front suspension
with fully adjustable Showa shocks provides
8.4 inches of travel, and features rear-facing
reservoirs for increased durability.
- Pro-Link(R) rear suspension with fully adjustable
Showa piggyback shock provides 9.3 inches of
- Dual 174mm front disc brakes with twin-piston
calipers and new high-pressure front brake lines
provide excellent stopping power.
- 190mm rear disc and beefy single-piston
caliper provide improved stopping power and
increased ground clearance.
- Aluminum brake calipers and brackets front
and rear reduce weight.
- Removable aluminum rear grabrail and front
bumper for reduced weight.
- Lightweight aluminum wheels reduce unsprung
weight for outstanding handling.
- Dunlop radial tires provide superb traction
and cornering ability.
- Durable and lightweight O-ring-sealed drive
- Throttle lever and carburetor feature full-closed
- Engine design meets California Air Resources
Board (CARB) off-road emissions standards.
- Convenient oil-level window allows for at-a-glance
- Long, narrow seat is designed for superior
comfort and performance in all operating conditions.
Saddle is also easy to remove for convenient
access to the air filter.
- Adjustable dual headlights with 30-watt
bulbs and improved reflectors for excellent
visibility and distinctive appearance.
- Pivot-access brake calipers for easy pad
- Engine cases protected by high-impact plastic
- LED tail/brake light for light weight and
- CRF-style clutch and front brake lever.
- Wide footpegs for improved rider control.
- Aluminum shift and brake pedals.
- CRF-type handlebar grips.
- Honda Racing-inspired colors and graphics.
- Optional HRC Racing Kit available.
- Transferable six-month limited warranty;
extended coverage available with a Honda Protection
- Ownership includes one-year complimentary
membership for an individual in the Honda Rider's
Club of America(TM) (HRCA(R)). Benefits include:
discounts, travel benefits, roadside assistance
for ATV transport vehicle while ATV is being
transported, one year of Honda Red Rider ATV(TM)
magazine, access to HRCA Clubhouse Web site
(www.hrca.honda.com) and access online to Honda
Common Service Manual. For HRCA details, call
1-800-847-HRCA. For dealers only, please call
- Model: TRX450R
- Engine Type: 450cc liquid-cooled single-cylinder
- Bore and Stroke: 96mm x 62mm
- Compression Ratio: 12.0:1
- Valve Train: Unicam; four-valve
- Carburetion: Keihin 40mm flat-slide with
throttle position sensor (TPS)
- Ignition: CD with electronic advance
- Starter: Electric or forward kick
- Transmission: Five-speed
- Final Drive: O-ring-sealed chain
Front: Independent double-wishbone with Showa shocks, featuring
adjustable spring preload, rebound and compression
damping; 8.4 inches travel
Rear: Pro-Link with single Showa shock featuring adjustable
spring preload, rebound and compression damping;
9.3 inches of travel
Front: Dual hydraulic 174mm discs with twin-piston calipers
Rear: Single hydraulic 190mm disc with single-piston caliper
Front: 22 x 7-10 knobby radial
Rear: 20 x 10-9 knobby radial
- Length: 73.3 inches
- Width: 46.3 inches
- Height: 43.3 inches
- Seat Height: 32.8 inches
- Ground Clearance: 4.4 inches
- Wheelbase: 50.2 inches
- Dry Weight: 363 pounds (Electric Start)
/ 357 pounds (Kick Start)
- Fuel Capacity: 3.1 gallons
- Colors: Red, Black
Consult owner's manual for optional HRC Racing
Kit parts. For highly experienced riders 16 years
of age and older.