The world's best
all-around ATV includes a strong 397cc engine, plus
Honda's renowned automatic transmission-and you
can even include an integrated GPS system as well.
New for 2006
- New Black color joins Red, Yellow and Olive.
- Powerful 397cc air-cooled OHV four-stroke
engine uses Honda's proven longitudinal mounting
system for superior drivetrain efficiency.
- SUV styling for a rugged, adventurous look.
- GPSCAPE(r) model features GPS unit with
easy-to-read LCD display. GPSCAPE is contained
within the standard meter assembly and features
storage for up to 100 waypoints, digital compass
function indicating travel direction and an
automatic compensating clock. When traveling
or returning to a designated waypoint, GPSCAPE
will tell the rider distance and direction from
- Powerful, rugged 397cc OHV air-cooled longitudinally
mounted engine allows direct drive-shaft alignment
to both front and rear wheels for improved drivetrain
- Overhead-valve design provides compact engine
dimensions for improved ground clearance, while
maintaining a broad, easy-to-use powerband.
- Unique dry-sump oiling system places the
oil tank inside the engine cases, lowering engine
height and allowing optimum engine placement
for excellent ground clearance and superb handling.
- Engine design produces low emissions and
meets California Air Resources Board (CARB)
off-road emissions standards.
- Integral 20-watt electric carburetor heater
improves driveability, ensures smooth operation
and provides dependable starting in cold conditions.
- CD ignition with electronic advance for
excellent performance and reliability.
- Rubber-cushion engine mounting and gear-driven
counterbalancer reduce vibration.
- Standard oil cooler with cooling fan assures
optimal engine lubrication under difficult operating
- Closed crankcase vent system safeguards
against engine oil contamination.
- Convenient electric starter, with auxiliary
recoil starter and an automatic internal decompression
- Stainless steel exhaust header and muffler
for superior corrosion resistance.
- Powerful, 322-watt AC generator.
- Reusable foam air filter.
- TraxLok(tm) system for convenient selection
of 2WD or 4WD depending on the conditions.
- Torque-sensitive front differential reduces
torque steer for less steering effort.
- The Hondamatic(tm) automatic transmission
utilizes variable hydraulic pressure and mechanical
torque amplification to provide seamless power
delivery and excellent acceleration. Engine
power drives a hydraulic pump. The pump, in
turn, drives a hydraulic motor with variable
fluid capacity. Utilizing pump and motor pistons
and a variable-pitch motor-side-swash plate,
hydraulic capacity and pressure are varied,
producing continuously variable output speed.
In addition, torque is increased as output shaft
speed is reduced.
- The Hondamatic is fully sealed, compact
and maintenance-free, with no belts to wear
out and replace.
- The Hondamatic features true engine braking,
unlike conventional belt-drive designs.
- Honda's exclusive Electric Shift Program(tm)
(ESP(tm)) allows the rider the option to "shift"
the Hondamatic with the touch of a thumb using
two push buttons mounted on the left handlebar.
- Rugged frame and suspension provide 7.2
inches of ground clearance.
- Steering mechanism design features light
effort and a tight turning radius of 10.8 feet.
- Independent double-wishbone front suspension
uses premium shock absorbers to provide 5.9
inches of suspension travel for a plush, comfortable
- Steel swingarm and single rear shock absorber
provide 5.9 inches of suspension travel for
superb comfort and compliance.
- Triple-sealed front hydraulic drum brakes
and sealed mechanical rear drum.
24 x 8-12 front and 24 x 10-11 rear tires provide
excellent ground clearance while maintaining
- Multi-function LCD digital instrumentation
that is compact,
tough and waterproof,
featuring large readouts for gear position,
speedometer, odometer, resettable tripmeter
and hourmeter/clock. Instrument housing includes
LED lights for reverse, neutral, oil temperature
warning and TraxLok indicators.
- Waterproof accessory socket provides 12-volt,
10-amp power with a built-in temperature-type
- Large cargo racks front and rear carry payloads
of 66 and 133 pounds respectively.
- Heavy-duty trailer hitch with towing capacity
of 850 pounds.
- Large, lightweight plastic fuel tank with
- Fuel gauge is standard equipment.
- Snorkel-type air intake system is specially
designed for water crossings.
- Unique Honda-designed floorboards allow
the rider's feet to grip the footrests, while
keeping mud and debris away.
- Unique rear-opening storage compartment
allows access when rack is loaded.
- Combination tail- and brakelight.
- Thickly padded seat provides all-day comfort.
- Standard over-fenders give excellent mud
- Twin-headlight system with 30-watt bulbs
features multi-reflector lenses for optimal
- USDA-qualified spark arrester/muffler.
- Constant-velocity-joint boot guards help
prevent damage to boot covers.
Tough 12 amp-hour maintenance-free
- Durable, comfortable, easy-to-use controls.
- Keyed ignition switch for added security.
Tough engine skidplate
for underside engine protection.
- Easy-to-use parking brake.
- Top-mounted choke lever for simple operation.
- Handlebar switches, controls and warning
labels use internationally approved ISO graphic
- Standard tool kit includes a tire pressure
- G.V.W.R. is 1068 pounds.
- Assembled in Timmonsville, South Carolina.
- Transferable six-month limited warranty;
extended coverage available with a Honda Protection
- Ownership includes one-year complimentary
membership in the Honda Rider's Club of America(tm)
(HRCA(r)). Benefits include: discounts, travel
benefits, roadside assistance for ATV transport
vehicle while ATV is being transported, one
year complimentary subscription to Honda Red
Rider ATV(tm) magazine, access to HRCA Clubhouse
Web site (www.hrca.honda.com),
access online to Honda Common Service Manual.
For HRCA details, call 1-800-847-HRCA. For dealers
only, please call (310) 783-3958.
2006 Honda FourTrax Rancher AT/FourTrax Rancher
AT GPSCAPE Specifications
- Engine Type: 397cc air-cooled OHV dry-sump
longitudinally mounted single-cylinder four-stroke
- Bore and Stroke: 85mm x 70mm
- Carburetion: 32mm CV
- Ignition: CD with electronic advance
- Starter: Electric with auxiliary recoil
- Clutch: Automatic
- Transmission: Fully automatic hydromechanical,
continuously variable, with electronic controls
- Driveline: Direct front and rear drive-shafts
with torque-sensitive front differential
Front: Independent double-wishbone; 5.9 inches travel
Rear: Swingarm with single shock; 5.9 inches travel
Front: Triple-sealed hydraulic drum
Rear: Sealed mechanical drum
Front: 24 x 8-12
Rear: 24 x 10-11
- Length: 80 inches (2031mm)
- Width: 43.9 inches (1114mm)
- Height: 45.2 inches (1147mm)
- Seat Height: 32.4 inches
- Ground Clearance: 7.2 inches
- Wheelbase: 49.1 inches
- Turning Radius: 10.8 feet
- Dry Weight: 559 pounds
- Fuel Capacity: 3.8 gallons, including 1.1-gallon
- Colors: Black, Red, Olive, Yellow
Recommended for riders 16 years of age and older.