The sporty TRX400EX delivers a blend of
aggressive styling and high performance along
with a refined design and amenities such as
Reverse gear and electric starting.
New for 2008
- New colors Red/Black, Black/White
- Edgy new bodywork transforms the look of this
bulletproof Sportrax and provides unsurpassed
- Wider seat with a narrower seat/tank junction
improves ergonomics even more.
- Revised suspension settings and a lighter
clutch pull for all-day riding comfort.
- New high visibility, long life LED brakelight
Features & Benefits
- The 397cc RFVC engine draws its breath from
the same engine that powered the bulletproof
- Rugged steel frame with removable subframe for
- Beautiful one-piece cast-aluminum swingarm
offers exceptional rigidity.
- Radial tires for exceptional handling.
- Triple disc brakes provide superb stopping
- Aggressive body style complements the
- High-performance, 397cc, dry-sump,
air-cooled, four-stroke, single-cylinder engine.
- Radial Four-Valve Combustion Chamber (RFVC)
for maximum combustion efficiency and
- Camshaft timing developed especially to meet
ATV requirements for torque and useable
- Gear-driven counterbalancer minimizes engine
vibration for smooth operation.
- Dual intake and exhaust ports for maximum
engine efficiency in sport operating conditions.
- Maintenance-free automatic cam-chain tensioner.
- Closed crankcase vent system safeguards
against engine oil contamination.
- 38mm carburetor provides light throttle
effort, superb air/fuel mixing and drivability.
An accelerator pump ensures excellent throttle
response for maximum power.
- Stainless steel dual exhaust header pipes
- USDA-qualified muffler/spark arrester offers
quiet operation and maximum power.
- CD ignition with electronic advance and
9100-rpm engine rev limiter.
- Heavy-duty clutch has 2mm-thick plates
designed to stand up to sport-ATV demands.
- High-efficiency oil cooler supplements the
large-capacity oil tank for maximum engine
- Five-speed transmission with Reverse has gears
and ratios specifically designed for sport-ATV
- Round-tube steel frame with removable subframe is lightweight, durable and very
- One-piece cast-aluminum swingarm for maximum
strength, rigidity and durability.
- Independent double-wishbone front suspension
offers 8.2 inches of travel from twin Showa
shock absorbers with five-position adjustable
spring preload for superb ride quality over
- Pro-Link® rear suspension with a fully
adjustable large-diameter aluminum-body
piggyback Showa shock absorber provides 9.1
inches of travel.
- Triple disc brakes feature excellent stopping
power and a weight-saving aluminum rear caliper
- Aluminum Pro-Link components further reduce
- Lightweight aluminum wheels reduce unsprung
weight for even better handling.
- Radial tires with knobby pattern provide
superb traction and cornering ability.
- Durable and heavy-duty O-ring-sealed drive
- Easy-to-use eccentric chain adjuster.
- Additional Features
- Engine design meets California Air Resources
Board (CARB) off-road emissions standards.
- Convenient push-button electric starting.
- Long, narrow seat provides excellent comfort
and superb sport riding ergonomics.
- Aggressive styling of front cowl, fuel tank
and fenders complements pure-sport design.
- Durable plastic fuel tank.
- Dual 30-watt headlights integrated into front
cowl provide distinctive sport style and
- LED rear brakelight and taillight for high
visibility and long life.
- Snorkel-type airbox to avoid contamination
from water and dirt.
- Washable, two-stage, large-capacity foam air
- Oil tank features a dipstick for easy
- Comfortable dogleg levers; clutch lever has
cable adjuster and dust cover.
- High-impact plastic skid-plates protect engine
cases, rear brake disc and sprocket.
- Rear mudguard with rigid footrests.
- Maintenance-free battery.
- Keyed ignition switch offers added security.
- Multi-function handlebar switch assembly is
simple to operate.
- Easy-to-use parking brake.
- Tool kit includes tire-pressure air gauge and
- Assembled in Timmonsville, South Carolina.
- Transferable one-year limited warranty;
extended coverage available with a Honda
- Purchase of a new, previously unregistered
Honda USA-certified unit by an individual retail
user in the United States qualifies the owner
for a one-year complimentary membership in the
Honda Rider's Club of America® (HRCA®). Visit
www.hrca.honda.com for details.
Engine Type: 397cc RFVC air-cooled dry-sump
Bore and Stroke: 85mm x 70mm
Carburetion: 38mm piston-valve with accelerator
Ignition: CD with electronic advance
Transmission: ESP five-speed with Reverse
Driveline: O-ring-sealed chain
Suspension Front: Independent double-wishbone
with Showa shocks, five-position spring preload
adjustability; 8.2 inches travel
Rear: Pro-Link fully adjustable single Showa
shock; 9.1 inches travel
Brakes Front: Dual hydraulic 174mm discs
Rear: Single 220mm disc
Tires Front: 22 x 7-11 knobby radial
Rear: 20 x 10-9 knobby radial
Length: 71.7 inches
Width: 45.5 inches
Height: 44.0 inches
Seat Height: 32.9 inches
Ground Clearance: 4.1 inches
Wheelbase: 47.9 inches
Turning Radius: 10.5 feet
Fuel Capacity: 2.6 gallons
Colors: Red/Black, Black/White
Curb Weight*: 410 pounds
*Includes all standard equipment, required
fluids and a full tank of fuel-ready to ride.
For highly experienced riders 16 years of age