FourTrax Foreman 4x4 ES/FourTrax Foreman 4x4
with Electric Power Steering
Honda’s revolutionary Electric Power Steering
(EPS) debuted last year to rave reviews in the
FourTrax Foreman 4x4 ES and now EPS is also
available with the popular manual-shift FourTrax
Foreman EPS Camo
Foreman EPS Olive
Foreman EPS Red
Features & Benefits
New for 2008
- New White color joins Red, Olive and
- EPS is a unique system consisting of an
ECU-programmed electric steering assistance
motor and multiple sensors. These sensors
measure the handlebar torque applied by the
operator as well as the ATV’s speed to determine
the correct amount of steering assistance
required for all conditions. More assistance is
provided in rough terrain and at low speeds to
decrease the amount of steering effort required,
while less assistance is provided at higher
speeds and in smooth terrain. This innovative
technology also decreases bumpsteer and kickback
through the handlebar in all conditions. The
sophisticated Showa system includes separate ECU
programming for 2WD and 4WD modes, while
spring-loaded steering-motor gears minimize play
to increase steering feel and feedback at higher
- Traxlok® enables the rider to shift between
2WD and 4WD with the simple push of a switch and
provides quiet, smooth engagement with
- Torque-sensitive front differential reduces
torque steer for less steering effort and, when
combined with EPS, provides unmatched 4WD
steering effort and precision.
- Dual front disc-brake calipers feature a
patented built-in scraper system to remove mud
and snow from inside the front wheel. This helps
to prevent buildup of debris between caliper and
rim and ensures consistent braking performance.
- Brake pads feature thick, long-wear
material with improved mud durability, feel and
control. Pads have an internal scraper that
gives audible warning when pad life is low.
- Standard-equipment oil cooler.
- Powerful four-stroke 475cc OHV air-cooled
longitudinally mounted engine allows direct
driveshaft alignment to both front and rear
wheels for improved drivetrain efficiency.
- The overhead-valve arrangement features
angled valves in a hemispherical combustion
chamber for straighter intake and exhaust flow
for improved engine performance.
- Rubber-cushion engine mounting and
gear-driven counterbalancer reduce vibration.
- Snorkel-type air-intake system is specially
designed to resist water intrusion.
- Integral electric carburetor heater system
improves driveability and ensures smooth
operation in cold conditions.
- Closed crankcase vent system safeguards
against engine oil contamination.
- USDA-qualified spark arrester/muffler is
constructed of stainless steel.
- Traxlok is easily engaged by pushing a
switch on the right handlebar. An
electromagnetic mechanical clutch unit located
on the center of the propeller shaft engages 4WD
with a quiet two-way roller clutch. Traxlok
ensures smooth operation by employing a magnetic
switching mechanism that engages when front and
rear wheel speeds vary by less than 6 mph. A 4WD
indicator light on the LCD meter shows “actual”
4WD/2WD engagement status.
- Electric Shift Program (ESP™) provides
push-button upshifting and downshifting. The
rider shifts simply and precisely with the press
of the upshift or downshift button mounted on
the left handlebar. An onboard electronic
control module (ECM) monitors information from
four sensors--engine rpm, countershaft speed,
shift drum angle and shift spindle angle--to
control the speed of the electric shift motor’s
gear and clutch engagement. Gear-engagement
speed varies according to rider style: The
transmission shifts more quickly when riding
style turns sporty. A neutral lockout at speeds
greater than 2 mph ensures available engine
braking when descending hills. For smooth
shifting, the transmission cannot be shifted
from Neutral to First gear or Reverse gear at
engine speeds above 3000 rpm. ESP is not
battery-dependent, operating whenever the engine
is running. Should the rider ever need to shift
manually, the ES model is also equipped with an
auxiliary shift lever in the tool kit.
- Super-heavy-duty automatic clutch for
excellent driveability and towing capacity.
- Convenient five-speed transmission with
- Maintenance-free shaft drive with
torque-sensing front differential routes power
directly from the longitudinally mounted engine
without inefficient directional changes.
- Convenient electric starter with auxiliary
recoil starter features an automatic internal
- Wet-sump engine carries a large 3.2-quart
- CD ignition with electronic advance for
excellent performance and reliability.
- Reusable foam air filter.
- Rugged frame and suspension provide an
exceptional 7.5 inches of ground clearance.
- Independent double-wishbone front
suspension uses KYB shock absorbers to give 6.7
inches of travel.
- Steel swingarm and dual KYB rear shock
absorbers give 6.7 inches of travel.
- Rugged, large-diameter 25x8-12 front,
25x10-12 rear tires provide added ground
clearance while maintaining precise handling.
- Dual 180mm front hydraulic disc brakes
combine with sealed 180mm mechanical rear drum
for excellent stopping capabilities.
- Engine design produces low emissions and
meets EPA and California Air Resources Board (CARB)
off-road emissions standards.
- Water-resistant left-side glove-box
- Large cargo racks front and rear allow
payloads of 66 and 133 pounds, respectively.
- Heavy-duty trailer hitch with towing
capacity of 850 pounds.
- Large, lightweight plastic fuel tank with
- Unique rear-opening storage compartment
allows access when rack is loaded.
- Triple headlight system with single 45-watt
upper light and dual 30-watt lower lights with
multi-reflector lenses for optimal light
distribution plus a 21-watt stop- and taillight.
- Multi-function LCD digital meter is
compact, tough and waterproof, featuring large
readouts for fuel gauge, gear position,
speedometer, odometer, tripmeter, hourmeter/clock
and oil-change reminder. Meter housing includes
lights for Reverse, Neutral, oil temperature and
front differential indicator.
- Waterproof accessory socket provides
12-volt, 10-amp power with a built-in
- Uniquely designed floorboards allow the
rider’s feet to grip the footrests while helping
to keep mud and debris away.
- Standard over-fenders give excellent mud
- Thickly padded seat provides all-day
- Large mud flaps keep dirt and debris off of
- Two-piece boot guards help prevent damage
to CV-joint boots.
- Maintenance-free battery.
- Durable, comfortable, easy-to-use controls.
- Keyed ignition switch for added security.
- Triple skid plates.
- Easy-to-use parking brake.
- Top-mounted choke lever for simple
- Handlebar switches, controls and warning
labels use easy to understand graphic symbols.
- Standard equipment includes a tire-pressure
- Assembled in Timmonsville, South Carolina.
- Transferable six-month limited warranty;
extended coverage available with a Honda
- Purchase of a new, previously unregistered
Honda ATV by an individual retail user in the
United States qualifies the owner for a one-year
complimentary membership in the Honda Rider’s
Club of America® (HRCA®). Benefits include
online access to the Honda Common Service
Manual, six issues of the bimonthly Honda Red
Rider™ magazine, travel discounts and trip
routing, plus access to the HRCA Web site (www.hrca.honda.com).
Look for the HRCA support team at select
off-road events across the country. For details
on the HRCA, dealers should call (310) 783-3958,
8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. Pacific Time.
- Flag Kit.
Model: TRX500FPE (with EPS)
Engine Type: 475cc air-cooled OHV
longitudinally mounted single-cylinder
Bore and Stroke: 92mm x 71.5mm
Compression Ratio: 8.5:1
Carburetion: 36mm constant-velocity
Ignition: CD with electronic advance
Starter: Electric with auxiliary recoil
Transmission: ESP five-speed with Reverse
Driveline: Direct front and rear driveshafts
with Traxlok and torque-sensitive front
Front: Independent double-wishbone; 6.7 inches
Rear: Swingarm with dual shocks; 6.7 inches
Front: Dual hydraulic 180mm disc
Rear: Sealed 180mm mechanical drum
Length: 83.0 inches
Width: 46.8 inches
Height: 46.5 inches
Seat Height: 33.9 inches
Ground Clearance: 7.5 inches
Wheelbase: 50.7 inches
Turning Radius: 10.8 feet
Dry Weight: 600 pounds
Fuel Capacity: 4.2 gallons, including
Recommended for riders 16 years of age and