Available in manual - and electric-start
versions, the mighty TRX450R has won races in
virtually every ATV racing arena as well as four
victories in the grueling Baja 1000.
New for 2009
- New White with Orange frame color joins
White and Red on the TRX450ER.
- High-Performance Unicam® cylinder head
design (see Technology Section)
- Compact, lightweight engine designed
specifically for ATV usage is worthy of its CRF®
- Electric-start version features an electric
starter that drives the clutch side of the
crankshaft to provide superior lubrication of
starter gears and to produce a narrow engine
with a short, strong crankshaft.
- Lightweight, compact, internal auto
decompressor provides superb cold-starting and
- Kickstart version incorporates ATV-type
forward kickstarting for ease of starting and
- Crankshaft is made of high-strength,
low-carbon steel with carburized main journals
for maximum durability at sustained high-rpm
- Cylinder-head cover is made of magnesium to
reduce engine weight.
- Forged three-ring 12.0:1 compression slipper
piston is lighter than a conventional design,
revving quickly while maintaining excellent
cylinder sealing and high-rpm power.
- Maximum engine rpm is 9850.
- Double-carburized connecting rod utilizes a
big-end needle bearing for maximum high-rpm
performance and durability.
- Nikasil cylinder lining is lightweight and
provides cooler and quieter operation for
extended engine life.
- Press-fitted steel spark plug pipe fits
between forked exhaust rocker arms, further
contributing to compact cylinder-
- head design.
- 40mm Keihin FCR-type carburetor features four
rollers on the flat slide, resulting in very
light throttle effort, smooth operation, crisp
throttle response and excellent rideability.
- Carburetor features a Throttle Position Sensor
(TPS) that helps maintain linear response
throughout the rpm range.
- Twin-sump lubrication system separates the oil
supply for the crankshaft, piston and valve
train from the clutch and transmission. This
ensures a cool supply of oil to the clutch,
eliminates clutch and transmission material
contamination to the engine oil and reduces the
amount of circulating oil and the required size
of the oil pump.
- Vertically split crankcases feature a built-in
oil pump, reducing weight compared to a
- Left-side countershaft bearing and axle
carrier feature double-row bearings for added
- Exhaust system uses a lightweight, stainless
steel header and muffler.
- Exhaust system and free-flowing muffler
increase performance while maintaining low noise
- Light-weight radiator with fin pitch designed
for improved airflow in all riding conditions.
- Compact, flat radiator fan is lightweight and
provides efficient cooling.
- Gear-driven balancer reduces vibration and
drives the water pump.
- Eight clutch plates provide the surface area
necessary to handle the engine's massive torque.
- Durable five-speed transmission with low
ratios designed for racing applications and
- Rider's position features low handlebar,
seat and footpegs for improved center of gravity
and rider feel.
- Round-tube steel frame with removable aluminum
subframe is lightweight and durable.
- One-piece, cast-aluminum swingarm for light
weight, maximum strength and durability.
- Independent, double-wishbone, double A-arm
front suspension with fully adjustable Showa
shocks provide 8.4 inches of travel, and
features rear-facing reservoirs for increased
- Pro-Link® Rear Suspension (see Technology
Section) with fully adjustable Showa piggyback
shock provides 9.3 inches of travel.
- Dual 174mm front disc brakes with twin-piston
calipers and high-pressure front brake lines
provide excellent stopping power.
- 190mm rear disc and beefy single-piston
caliper provide improved stopping power and
increased ground clearance.
- Aluminum brake calipers and brackets front and
rear reduce weight.
- Removable aluminum rear grabrail and front
bumper for reduced weight.
- Lightweight aluminum wheels reduce unsprung
weight for outstanding handling.
- Dunlop radial tires provide superb traction
and cornering ability.
- Durable and lightweight O-ring-sealed drive
- Throttle lever and carburetor feature
full-closed detection system.
- Engine design meets California Air Resources
Board (CARB) off-road emissions standards.
- Convenient oil-level window allows for
at-a-glance oil check.
- Long, narrow seat is designed for superior
comfort and performance in all operating
conditions. Saddle is also easy to remove for
convenient access to the air filter.
- Large air filter allows maximum airflow for
optimum engine power.
- Airbox designed for improved airflow and
- Adjustable dual headlights with 30-watt bulbs
and improved reflectors for excellent visibility
and distinctive appearance.
- Headlight shaped for race-derived look.
- Pivot-access brake calipers for easy pad
- Engine cases protected by high-impact plastic
- LED tail/brakelight to shed weight and add an
- CRF-style clutch and front brake lever.
- Wide footpegs for improved rider control.
- Aluminum shift and brake pedals.
- CRF-type handlebar grips.
- Honda Racing-inspired colors and graphics.
- Optional HRC Racing Kit available.
- Transferable one-year limited warranty;
extended coverage available with a Honda
- When you buy a new Honda Powersports Product,
you may be eligible to receive a complimentary
one year membership in the Honda Riders Club of
America, which includes an exclusive
Members-only magazine, rider training benefits,
access to the Members-only Clubhouse website and
much more. Some limitations apply. For more
information on the HRCA, log on to
- Model: TRX450R (kick start) / TRX450ER
- Engine Type: 450cc liquid-cooled
- Bore and Stroke: 96mm x 62mm
- Compression Ration: 12.0:1
- Valve Train: Unicam; four-valve; 36mm
intake, Ti; 30mm exhaust, steel
- Induction: Keihin 40mm flat slide
carburetor with throttle position sensor
- Ignition: CD with electronic advance
- Starter: Electric or forward kick
- Transmission: Five-speed
- Final Drive: O-ring-sealed chain
- Suspension Front: Independent
double-wishbone with Showa shocks, featuring
adjustable spring preload, rebound and
compression damping; 8.4 inches travel
- Rear: Pro-Link with single Showa shock
featuring adjustable spring preload, rebound
and compression damping; 9.3 inches of
- Brakes Front: Dual hydraulic 174mm discs
with twin-piston calipers
- Rear: Single hydraulic 190mm disc with
- Tires Front: 22 x 7-10 knobby radial
- Rear: 20 x 10-9 knobby radial
- Length: 73.3 inches
- Width: 46.3 inches
- Height: 43.3 inches
- Seat Height: 32.8 inches
- Ground Clearance: 4.4 inches
- Wheelbase: 50.2 inches
- Fuel Capacity 2.7 gallons, including
- Colors: TRX450R: Red
- TRX450ER: Red, White, Special White
- Curb Weight*: 383 pounds (TRX450R) / 390
- Consult owner's manual for optional HRC
Racing Kit parts.
- For highly experienced riders 16 years
of age and older.
Curb weight includes all standard
equipment, required fluids and a full tank of
fuel - ready to ride.