2009 Rancher AT
Meet the all-new 2009 Rancher AT. With a
powerful liquid-cooled, fuel-injected 420cc
longitudinally mounted engine, automatic/ESP
five-speed transmission, Electric Power
Steering, independent rear suspension-plus
Honda's selectable 4WD/2WD TraxLok and rugged
torque-sensitive front differential-there's no
better choice for reliable and rewarding ATV
Rancher AT with EPS Red
Rancher AT with EPS White
Rancher AT Camo
- New Honda automatic five-speed
transmission provides five-speed
auto-shifting or push-button manual shifting
with Honda's Electric Shift Program (ESP™,
see Technology Section)
- Rugged OHV liquid-cooled, fuel-injected
420cc longitudinally mounted engine allows
direct driveshaft alignment to both front
and rear wheels for maximum drivetrain
efficiency (see Technology Section).
- Revolutionary Electric Power Steering
(EPS) (see technology section)
- Double-wishbone Independent Rear
Suspension (IRS) contributes to increased
ground clearance and responsive,
- Front and rear disc brakes for
phenomenal braking performance.
- Powerful 420cc longitudinally mounted
engine eliminates 90-degree power transfers
and boasts exceptional horsepower and
torque. Overhead-valve design provides
compact engine dimensions for excellent
- Cylinder head redesigned with higher
compression, revised camshaft profile and
larger intake valves (38 vs. 35mm) and
exhaust valves (33 vs. 30mm) to ensure
strong mid-range and top-end power.
- Programmed Fuel-Injection (PGM-FI)
features a 34mm throttle body, 12-hole Denso
injector, and Idle Air Control Valve (IACV)
for crisp performance, excellent economy and
trouble-free operation in cold conditions
and varying altitudes.
- Large 7.2-liter airbox with washable,
reusable foam air filter provides more air
to the engine for increased performance.
- New high-capacity oil system features a
high-flow filter and a two-rotor pump to
provide oil for the engine and the
pressurized transmission clutches.
- Rubber-cushion engine mounting and
gear-driven counterbalancer reduce
- Large radiator with cooling fan ensures
optimal engine cooling under difficult
- Stainless-steel exhaust header and
muffler for superior corrosion resistance.
- Three-chamber muffler baffling uses no
packing material that can blow out,
providing long-lasting performance.
- New lightweight, automatic transmission
offers five-speed auto-shifting or
push-button manual shifting with Honda's
Electric Shift Program (ESP). After the
heavy duty centrifugal clutch engages, two
Electronic Control Module (ECM)-controlled
clutches mounted in the gearbox upshift/downshift
to provide smooth, lurch-free shifts. When
descending hills in automatic mode, the
transmission downshifts, providing excellent
- If rider forgets to downshift when
stopping in ESP mode, the transmission
downshifts to third gear to prevent engine
- Excellent fuel economy results from the
transmission's high efficiency.
- TraxLok 4WD/2WD selector lever allows
4WD or 2WD operation. (see Technology
- Rugged frame and suspension provide an
exceptional 9.1 inches of ground clearance.
- Independent double-wishbone front
suspension uses premium shock absorbers to
provide 6.3 inches of wheel travel for a
plush, comfortable ride.
- Honda's double wishbone, Independent
Rear Suspension (IRS) provides 6.3 inches of
wheel travel and minimizes geometry
variations as the suspension travels through
its stroke, maintaining rear wheel
alignment, contributing to responsive
overall handling, and reducing tire wear and
- Revolutionary Electric Power Steering
(EPS) (see technology section)
- Dual hydraulic front and single rear
disc brakes provide exceptional stopping
power and feature brake pads that minimize
wear from dust and sand.
- Rear center disc brake and
self-adjusting mechanical rear parking brake
are mounted on the rear driveshaft,
contributing to the AT's considerable ground
- Tough, large-diameter 24x8-12 front, and
wide 24x10-11 rear tires provide excellent
ground clearance while maintaining precise
- Engine design produces low emissions and
meets EPA and California Air Resources Board
(CARB) off-road emissions standards.
- Convenient electric starting, with
optional recoil starter and an automatic
- Large, lightweight plastic fuel tank
with 3.5-gallon capacity
- Multifunction LCD digital
instrumentation is compact, tough and
waterproof, featuring large readouts for
gear position, speedometer, odometer,
resettable tripmeter and hour meter.
Instrument housing includes indicator lights
for Reverse, Neutral, water-temperature,
PGM-FI, 4WD and Power Steering (for EPS
- Thickly padded seat provides all-day
- Large cargo racks front and rear carry
payloads of 66 and 133 pounds, respectively.
- Heavy-duty trailer hitch with 850-pound
- Snorkel-type air-intake system is
specially designed to resist water.
- Closed crankcase vent system safeguards
against engine oil contamination.
- USDA-qualified spark arrester/muffler
designed for quiet operation without wool
packing for long-lasting performance.
- Powerful 371-watt AC generator.
- Tough 12-amp-hour maintenance-free
- Twin-headlight system with 30-watt bulbs
features multireflector lenses for optimal
- Combination LED stoplight and taillight.
- Durable, comfortable, easy-to-use
- Keyed ignition switch for added
- Large fenders give excellent mud
floorboards allow the rider's feet to grip
the footrests while helping to keep mud and
- Full-length synthetic lower skid
plate with integrated front brush guard.
- Constant-velocity-joint boot guards help
prevent damage to boot covers.
- Handlebar switches, controls and warning
labels use easy-to-understand graphic
- Standard equipment includes a
- Assembled in Timmonsville, South
- Transferable one-year limited warranty;
extended coverage available with a Honda
- Purchase of a new, previously
unregistered Honda USA-certified unit by an
individual retail user in the United States
qualifies the owner for a one-year
complimentary membership in the Honda Riders
Club of America® (HRCA®). Visit
www.hrca.honda.com for details.
- Flag Kit.
- Recoil Starter.
- 12-Volt Accessory Socket.
- Model: TRX420FA9/TRX420FPA9 (with EPS)
- Engine Type: 420cc liquid-cooled OHV
semi-dry-sump longitudinally mounted
- Bore and Stroke: 86.5mm x 71.5mm
- Induction: Programmed Fuel Injection
(PGM-FI), 34mm throttle bodies
- Ignition: Full-transistorized type with
- Starter: Electric with optional
- Transmission: Automatic/ESP five-speed
- Driveline: Direct front and rear
- Suspension: Front: Independent
double-wishbone; 6.3 inches travel
- Rear: Independent double-wishbone; 6.3
- Brakes: Front: Dual hydraulic disc
- Rear: Single hydraulic disc
- Tires: Front: 24x8-12
- Rear: 24x10-11
- Length: 80.9 inches
- Width: 46.1 inches
- Height: 45.8 inches
- Seat Height: 32.4 inches
- Ground Clearance: 9.1 inches
- Wheelbase: 49.4 inches
- Turning Radius: 10.5 feet
- Fuel Capacity: 3.5 gallons (including
1.0 gallon reserve)
- Colors: Black, Red, Olive, Natural Gear
- Curb Weight*: 623/642 pounds
* Includes all standard
equipment, required fluids and a full tank of
fuel-ready to ride.
* Recommended for riders
16 years of age and older.