2006 KAWASAKI KFX400 SPORT
LEADING-EDGE DESIGN AND PERFORMANCE FOR THE PURIST
KFX®400 is for serious sport riders who demand high-performance
for the track, trails and dunes. And the KFX400
delivers, thanks to its high-tech, four-stroke engine,
manual transmission, lightweight racing-type chassis
and disc brakes.
This four-wheeled Kawasaki is propelled
by a highly responsive 398cc, liquid-cooled, four-stroke
engine with double overhead cams and four valves
atop a chrome composite-plated aluminum alloy cylinder.
Fed by a 37mm high-performance carburetor, it includes
electric start and has a counterbalancer to reduce
The KFX400 engine utilizes a “dry
sump” design, shortening overall engine height so
it can be placed lower in the chassis for enhanced
stability while providing higher ground clearance.
Transmitting power from the engine
to the rear wheels is a high-performance five-speed-plus-reverse
manual transmission and efficient O-ring chain.
Such power requires a chassis to match, so the KFX400
ATV engine rides in a high-tensile steel frame and
subframe. Suspension duties are handled by dual
front A-arms with fully adjustable shocks that provide
8.5 inches of travel, while an aluminum-alloy swingarm
with fully adjustable shock provides 9.1 inches
of travel on the rear. Contributing to the KFX400’s
low, 373-pound dry weight are competition-inspired
aluminum-alloy wheels, and stopping power is provided
by dual front disc brakes and a single rear disc
Authentic Kawasaki Accessories are
available through Kawasaki dealers or they can be
purchased on the Internet at
As with all off-highway vehicle
recreation, Kawasaki encourages ATV riders to ride
responsibly and to respect the environment. Kawasaki
will pay first-time buyers of a new Kawasaki ATV
$100 for completing an ATV rider safety course conducted
by the ATV Safety Institute (ASI). Interested consumers
can call ASI toll-free at 800-887-2887.
- High-performance four-stroke engine delivers
exceptionally broad torque curve for maximum
traction for a variety of sport-riding conditions
- Twin air intakes on the front fenders provide
extra cooling to the radiator
- Dry-sump lubrication allows the engine to
be kept low in the chassis for superior weight
distribution and handling while providing higher
- 37mm carburetor increases engine performance
- Electric start makes getting started easy
- Five-speed manual transmission helps the
rider keep the engine in the powerband
- Reverse gear makes backing up convenient
- Efficient chain final drive provides maximum
power to the rear wheel
- Swingarm utilizes eccentric chain adjusters,
making chain adjustment easier
- Dual A-arm front suspension and rear swingarm
help to soak up the bumps and jumps
- Front shocks feature fully adjustable compression
and rebound damping as well as adjustable preload
for multiple suspension tuning options
- Triple disc brakes provide exceptional stopping
- Dual halogen headlights brighten the path
for nighttime riding
- Serrated steel footpegs help to keep the
rider’s feet from slipping in wet or muddy riding
- Engine: Liquid-cooled, four-stroke,
single cylinder with DOHC and four-valves
- Displacement: 398cc
- Carburetion: Mikuni BSR37
- Starting: Electric
- Transmission: Five-speed-plus-reverse
manual, multi-plate wet clutch
- Final drive: #520 O-ring chain
- Frame type: High-tensile tubular
- Front suspension / wheel travel:
Dual A-arms with coil-over-shock, adjustable
preload / 8.3 in.
- Rear suspension / wheel travel: Swingarm
with preload-adjustable shock / 9.1 in.
- Front tires: 22x7-10 radial
- Rear tires: 20x10-9 radial
- Front brakes / rear brake: Dual hydraulic
discus / Disc
- Overall length: 72.0 in.
- Overall width: 45.9 in.
- Wheelbase: 49.0 in.
- Ground clearance: 10.4 in.
- Lighting: Dual 30W halogen
- Dry weight: 373 lbs.
- Fuel capacity: 2.6 gal.
- Footpegs: Serrated steel
- Colors: Kawasaki Lime Green, Blazing
- MSRP: TBA
- Wholesale distributor:
Kawasaki Motors Corp., U.S.A.
9950 Jeronimo Road
Irvine, California 92618
*Specifications are subject to change.