2006 KAWASAKI PRAIRIE_ 700
SETTING THE STANDARD FOR THE 4X4 ATV WORLD
venerable Prairie_ 700 4x4 is the direct descendent
of the original Kawasaki 4x4 that revolutionized
the world of all-terrain vehicles (ATVs). With seemingly
unlimited power from its V-twin engine, a finely
tuned automatic transmission and variable front
differential control, the Prairie continues to win
magazine shootouts and has set the standard for
other brands to follow.
The heart of the Prairie 700 4x4
is a liquid-cooled, four-stroke, 90-degree V-twin
engine, which borrows many of its features from
Kawasaki's popular KFX_700 sport ATV. These include
engine cases, cylinders, cylinder heads, dual Keihin
CVKR-D32 carburetors, and the same bore and stroke
as that of the KFX700.
Power from the V-twin engine is
transferred through Kawasaki's continuously variable
transmission (CVT) to the dependable shaft drive.
Plus, with the flip of a switch, the Prairie 700
4x4 rider can select two- or four-wheel drive operation.
The Prairie 700 4x4 also features
Kawasaki's Variable Front Differential Control.
When operating in four-wheel drive, the rider can
pull a small lever on the left handlebar to vary
the amount of differential slip. This helps the
rider control the power delivered to each front
wheel, so the wheel with traction will always receive
some torque, a decided advantage when encountering
deep mud or slippery uphill trails.
The Prairie 700 4x4 braking system
has stopping power equal to its enhanced V-twin
engine, with dual front disc brakes and the Kawasaki's
oil-bathed, multi-disc rear brake system to give
the rider maximum control.
To assist the operator when descending
steep hills, the Prairie 700 4x4 also features Kawasaki
Engine Brake Control, which electronically monitors
ground speed and uses the engine's compression to
help slow the ATV.
To provide a smooth, comfortable
ride becoming of a Kawasaki, the Prairie 700 4x4
rides on MacPherson strut front suspension with
6.7 inches of travel and a rear aluminum swingarm
with 7.2 inches of travel.
Other Prairie 700 4x4 comforts include
a large saddle and adjustable footpegs atop fullsized
floorboards. Plus, the cargo racks can carry 264
Authentic Kawasaki Accessories are
available through Kawasaki dealers or they can be
purchased on the Internet at
As with all off-highway vehicle
recreation, Kawasaki encourages ATV riders to ride
responsibly and to respect the environment. Kawasaki
will pay first-time buyers of a new Kawasaki ATV
$100 for completing an ATV rider safety course conducted
by the ATV Safety Institute (ASI). Interested consumers
can call ASI toll-free at 800-887-2887.
- 90-degree, 697cc four-stroke engine shares
many of the design features of the KFX_700 sport
it exceptional performance and torque
- Continuously variable transmission has high
and low forward gears plus reverse, so no shifting
- Selectable four-wheel drive gives the rider
the ability to choose two-wheel or four-wheel
- Limited-slip front differential permits
easy turning, yet the rider can utilize the
Variable Front Differential
Control to "lock" the front wheels for maximum
traction on difficult terrain
- Electronically controlled Kawasaki Engine
Brake Control helps to slow the ATV when traversing
- Dual-piston caliper front disc brakes provide
aggressive stopping power and are complemented
industry's first sealed, oil-bathed, multi-disc
rear braking system
- MacPherson strut front suspension gives
a smooth, comfortable ride
- Aluminum swingarm is sturdy and lightweight,
and the shock features adjustable spring preload
- A fully digital instrument panel provides
the rider important information at a glance
- Bumper, front grille and cargo racks are
rugged and practical racks can carry 264 pounds
- Tow hitch comes standard
- Engine: Liquid-cooled, 90-degree,
- Valve system: SOHC, four valves
- Displacement: 697cc
- Starting system: Electric with recoil
- Bore x stroke: 82 x 66mm
- Compression ratio: 9.9:1
- Carburetion: (2) Keihin CVKR-D32
- Ignition: DC-CDI
- Transmission: Continuously variable
transmission with Kawasaki Engine Brake Control,
high and low range, plus reverse
- Final drive: Selectable four-wheel
drive with Variable Front Differential Control,
- Frame: Double cradle, tubular steel
- Front suspension / wheel travel:
MacPherson / 6.7 in.
- Rear suspension / wheel travel: Aluminum
swingarm and single shock / 7.2 in.
- Front tires: AT25x8-12
- Rear tires: AT25x10-12
- Front brakes: (2) Dual-piston disc
- Rear brake: Sealed oil-bathed multi-disc
- Overall length: 86.2 in.
- Overall width: 46.5 in.
- Wheelbase: 50.8 in.
- Ground clearance: At center of chassis,
9.5 in. / at rear axle, 7.6 in.
- Seat height: 34.3 in.
- Lighting: 45W x 2 halogen
- Rack capacity: front / rear 88 lbs.
/ 176 lbs.
- Towing capacity: 1,250 lbs.
- Dry weight: 604 lbs.
- Fuel capacity: 4.5 gal.
- Instruments: Speedometer, odometer,
dual trip meters, clock, hour meter, fuel gauge,
2x4/4x4 indicator light, neutral indicator light,
indicator light, low fuel warning light, low
oil warning light
- Colors: Woodsman Green, Aztec Red,
Team Green˛ Edition
- MSRP: TBA
- Wholesale distributor: Kawasaki Motors
9950 Jeronimo Road
Irvine, CA 92618
*Specifications are subject to change.